The project FROnT has published a report illustrating the key findings of the project. It covers the methodology and results achieved in every key area addressed by the project – from an analysis of the heating and cooling market, and the role of renewable heating and cooling (RES-HC or RHC) technologies, to consumers’ decision-making factors, assessment of levelised costs, support schemes and policy priorities.
RES-HC technologies, including geothermal and solar thermal, biomass stoves and boilers, and efficient heat pumps, can be found in individual, hybrid, and district heating and cooling systems. But although considered mature and reliable technologies, in several countries the development of RES-HC is still dramatically low.
To reverse this trend, the FROnT project has dn the RES-HC industry and energy agencies, with the support of experts involved through extensive consultation processes in six EU countries (Austria, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, and the United Kingdom).
The report provides information on the main results of the project and it contains sections on:
- The heating and cooling sector and the main RES-HC technologies;
- The perception of consumers regarding their H&C system and RES-HC technologies;
- New decision-making tools providing the consumer with a technical pre-feasibility assessment of alternative and more sustainable H&C systems;
- Assessment and communication of costs and prices, including the development of a new tool, addressed to consumers and policy-makers, to estimate the life-cycle costs of various H&C options;
- Strategic policy priorities and inspiring best practices on support schemes;
- An action plan for public entities, civil society organisations and industry stakeholders, to continue the work started with the FROnT project on providing clear and transparent information to end-users.
The report is addressed to consumers, national, regional, and local policy-makers, civil-servants, HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) manufacturing, designer, and installers as well as any to any other professional interested in H&C services.